Pet obesity is a real concern, as with it comes a host of major health issues. It is the responsibility of pet parents to ensure that your furry friend is in the ideal weight range.
Ideal Pet Weight Ranges
When you visit your vet, your pet will be weighed and told his or her ideal weight. This depends on your pet’s breed, gender, and age. For most cats, the ideal weight is between 3 to 5 kg. On the other hand, fluffy-coated Maine Coon cats have a higher range of 4.5 to11 kg.
Prevent Pet Obesity: Portion Control
Avoid overfeeding your dog to best prevent pet obesity. Most pet parents find themselves wondering, How much should I feed my dog? Dogs over 8 weeks old only need to be fed twice a day. Puppies 6 to 8 weeks old should be fed wet food 3 to 4 times a day. The amount of food depends on your dog’s weight:
- Up to 4.5 kg – 1/4 to 3/4 cup
- 4.5-11 kg – 3/4 to 1 cup
- 11-22 kg – 1 to 2 cups
- 22-34 kg – 2 to 2 1/2 cups
- Over 34 kg – 2 to 4 cups
Prevent Pet Obesity: Exercise
The amount of exercise your pet needs depends on his or her breed and age. An old Pomeranian has much lower exercise needs than a young Greyhound.
Daily exercise is best, below are some guidelines:
- 2 to 3 times per week is a must.
- Pets seeking weight loss need to increase both the frequency and intensity of their workouts.
- Play fetch, swimming, and jogging are all ways for your pet to shed weight.
Pet Weight Loss Tips
- Strict portion control. Start by measuring how much you are currently feeding your pet. Gradually decrease that amount over a week until it is at the appropriate portion size for your pet’s age and weight.
- Move your pet’s dishes. Placing your pet’s food and water dishes at the top of some stairs or further places can add a little exercise to his or her routine. Just make sure you point out the new location to your pet!
- Use veggies as treats. Surprisingly, most dogs love vegetables! Try substituting a dog friendly vegetables like a carrot, peas, or green beans for a low-calorie, healthy treat
© 2014, Copyright 2014 Aon Singapore Pte Ltd Co Reg No.198301525W. All Rights Reserved.
This article is intended for general information purposes only and is subject to change without notice. It should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this article is made available on an “as is” basis, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, including as to accuracy, completeness or otherwise at the time of initial publication or thereafter. To the extent permitted by law, Aon disclaims any responsibility or liability to any person or organization for any loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content whatsoever. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way or by any means, including photocopying or recording, without the written permission of the copyright holder, application for which should be addressed to the copyright holder.
Happy Tails Insurance is underwritten by NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative Limited and arranged by Aon Singapore Pte Ltd.